What You Should Know About Our Verbal Behavior Therapy
We know each individual may communicate differently. VB Therapy can increase communication via vocal and non-vocal verbal languages:
- Word approximations
- Eye contact
- Sign language
- Picture exchange system (PECS)
- Non-verbal cues
In some cases, non-vocal verbal language can take form as aggression, tantrums or other inappropriate behaviors. VB Therapy helps transfer an inappropriate behavior to a more appropriate method of functional communication.
VB therapy allows language to be broken down into small units and taught individually, while focusing on the learner’s motivation. Children are more likely to communicate for things they really want or directly benefits them.
Our VB Therapy program includes:
- Individualized instruction and programming
- Naturalistic teaching strategies
- Generalization and maintenance
- Ongoing data collection, analysis and progress reporting
- Selection of communication methods and goals specifically for your child
- Parent involvement in the selection of communication methods
Verbal Behavior (VB) Therapy teaches functional communication using the scientific principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and the theories of psychologist and behaviorist B.F. Skinner.